Thursday, May 8, 2008

Problems




So we're finally done painting the brown color. We took the tape off and this is what we got. What the? Did we do something wrong? What's the point of taping if it does this?






This is a picture of our TV. As you can see, it's broken, unless you only want to watch half of the picture. I called a couple of places about getting it fixed. One place wouldn't give any sort of estimate. They wanted us to bring it in and pay them $75 for an estimate. I called another place who wanted $50. He did give me a "ballpark figure" over the phone though -- "anywhere from $100 to $1500". So.......we might not have a TV for a while. I guess if it's towards the $100 area we could get it fixed. Why in the world would we pay $1500 to fix a TV though? I even looked on LG's (the brand) website, and they have a brand new 42 inch (our size) plasma (our type) TV for $1199. So, I could possibly spend more than that to fix a broken TV that's almost 3 years old, or just buy a new one. I'm going to think about that for a while.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

I read an article that professionals say not to tape. Your example would be why. ;) Also, I painted one wall at Brandon's work, and spent tons of time taping, and he painted the other walls not taping... they look about the same. His might be slightly better. I'll never waste time taping again.

Brenda said...

I think it could also possibly be that you had the tape on too long. We've always taped, and not had any problems. I don't know what to tell you about the TV. I'll ask Troy if he knows anything about TV's, since he's pretty handy, but he probably doesn't.

Felicia H. said...

The same thing happened when we taped and painted. My mom said we should have let the paint dry for a few days before taking the tape off maybe that would have worked.

Geoff says to kick your t.v.

Jason said...

All good points. Bottom line is that painting sucks. We spent at least a week taping and then forever painting. I'm figuring I'm just not going to tape anymore. I don't care if I should or not. That will at least cut out that part of the crappy work.