Thursday, October 16, 2008

10 Things We Hate About Our House

This is the sequel to our wildly popular post "10 Things We Love About Our House". Since our house isn't old like Mindy's, we don't really have any quirky things we love or hate about our house. It's all pretty standard stuff. But here you go anyway.

1. The Swamp. When our house was built 3 1/2 years ago, they decided they wanted to use seed for the backyard. For some reason, they didn't feel it was necessary to make the ground level at all, or even remove good size rocks. They did, however, feel it was necessary to water it to death twice a day or so. Thus, we get a swamp for a back yard. This picture shows it at a dry time. It is completely useless as a backyard.


2. Poop. We have a few neighbors with dogs who don't think they need to clean up after them. Their dogs come onto our yard, and poop on our lawn. I swear, if I knew for sure which house these dogs came from, I would personally go and poop on their porch. There is not a lot of things I hate more than dog poop on my lawn.

3. "Landscaping". Since we live in a townhouse, we have to pay $90 a month for HOA fees. This covers everything on the outside, including all landscaping and maintenance. So this is what we get. $90 dollars a month for dirt.

4. Crappy toilets (no pun intended...ok maybe a little pun). They don't flush very well at all. For some reason, Ashley has always had (there's no polite way to say this) really big bowel movements. So, whenever she has one, she pretty much clogs the toilet. I have to say they are impressive. But back to the point, the toilets suck. Plus the seat is like really cheap plastic.

5. Neighbors. We have really nice neighbors. It's just not always nice to have them so close. They have two teenage girls that really like to run up and down their stairs and scream. Since we share a wall, it sounds like they are in our house sometimes. That's just one of the drawbacks to living in a townhouse.


6. Stairs that don't go straight down. We found out how bad this is when we tried to move stuff to and from the basement. Big stuff like couches and beds don't go around a turn like this very easy. People that design floor plans should know stuff like this.

7. Cleaning our wood floors. This bugs Dallas more than me. We can't really clean our floors without them streaking. We've tried different ways, but they're never just clean and shiny. Maybe we're just dumb and don't know how to do it, but it's kind of annoying.
Well, I'm sure you can tell that I'm reaching for things to add to the list by now, so I'll just stop at 7. We really don't have much to complain about.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

The nice thing about having stairs that don't go straight down is that if your kid falls down them, they only fall halfway instead of down a full flight of stairs.

Felicia H. said...

I lie your townhouse.

Felicia H. said...

I mean like not lie

Geoff said...

Hey i have that same problem as Ashley. I'm always clogging up toilets with my bowel movements. I think we just have good, efficient bums.

Mindy said...

The best thing I found for cleaning laminate floors (I had a LOT of it in our last house) was a steam mop. Not perfect, but better than anything else.

Annalyn said...

I love this list! I was just telling Scott the other day that it would be interesting to have people list the top 5 fav things about their home and their 5 least fav things. It's good to keep these things in mind when looking around to buy a house.

Note to self: no turn on stairs, and a toilet that can handle an Ashley-size dump ;-)