Thursday, September 25, 2008

America's Next Top Model

So, the girls and me have been watching America's Next Top Model. The season premiere just happened to come on when I was doing home work with the girls and I just left it on. There has been a girl on there that is really a man. I don't know what the proper term is whether it's transvestite(I don't know if that's spelled right) or something else. When they were explaining that she was really a man I was watching for Ashley's reaction. I wasn't sure if she was really going to catch on to what they were saying. She looked at me though and asked "So, she's really a boy?" with a confused look on her face. I said yes and tried to explain that there are some people out there that are not happy with being a boy or a girl, and will sometimes dress up as the opposite. I didn't get into the whole surgery aspect of it, I didn't think that would be age appropriate. I was somewhat lost though as to how much I should say. So, next weeks episode came on and Ashley said "Yeah, I want to see when the He She gets kicked off." I have no idea where she got that term from. I didn't say it. I don't know if she came up with it on her own, or if she heard it somewhere else. I thought it was interesting that she would use that term. We've been watching it every week, and every week I wonder if I should really be letting the girls watch this. Not just because of that. I wonder if they could develop self-esteem issues from it. I don't know if I'm over thinking it. They ask though every week now is the model show on? So, we just continue to watch it. I don't know why they like it, but they do.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

I have to admit, I really like to watch that show too. Aubrey likes to watch it, and I've wondered the same things. I just figure that it can open up things for discussion.

Felicia H. said...

I think as long as you are talking to them about things that it's ok. They are going to see all that stuff in the worls anyways, at least this way you can be there with them.

Jake said...

I haven't seen the show but your Tunes on your blog inspired me to add a few to my blog. So check 'em out Jason and let me know what you think. Jake